When it comes to a high protein diet, Biltong makes the perfect healthy snack. But what about adding it into your recipes to enhance a meal?
Tasty, healthy Biltong Meal Recipe IdeasBiltong is a fabulous tasting high protein snack, that is cured, not cooked. Retaining most of the nutrients, Biltong added into a recipe to enhance a meal boosts your protein intake. For those who are on a lower carb, higher protein diet, adding Biltong into meal recipe is a quick and easy way to fit into your meal plan. If you choose to replace your usual meat with Biltong or add it to a meatless meal to boost your protein intake, then not only will it be more healthy, but it will be really easy to make too. In fact you will be surprised just how versatile Biltong really is, and a 3 course Biltong meal is not out of the question. Below are some tasty, healthy Biltong recipes to make sure you always enjoy the benefits of eating Biltong.
Starter: Ciabatta bread with camembert cheese, caramelised onions and BiltongIngredients you will need:
- 1 Ciabatta, sliced
- Olive Oil
- 1 Camembert cheese, thinly sliced
- A packet of Biltong
- 2 onions, thinly sliced and caramelised
- Drizzle olive oil on the sliced ciabatta bread and place under the grill to toast slightly on each side.
- Once slightly brown, top with a few slices of camembert. Place back under the grill for the Camembert to melt, remove from the oven and top with a few pieces of biltong and some of the caramelised onions.
Main Meal: Biltong StewIngredients you will need:
- olive oil
- 300g biltong
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- Ginger paste
- Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- cayenne pepper
- 100ml boiling water
- Fry the onions and garlic.
- Add the Biltong and fry for a minute.
- Add the tomato puree. Stir and cook for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes until it has cooked down.
- Add the boiling water a bit at a time until you are happy with the consistency.
Desert: Biltong CakeClearly adding Biltong in a pudding or dessert was going to be a stretch, and most of you may have been a little concerned that we were going to make Biltong meringue, or even Biltong jelly, but we don’t want to turn our readers off. However we have experimented with cakes. You may have heard of adding courgettes to a cake to keep it moist, well adding Biltong doesn’t do that, but it does give a unique flavour. It’s a bit like the reverse of adding chocolate to a Mexican chilli dish. In all honesty, the recipes on the web are all simply cakes that are decorated with Biltong, and we are not that keen in sharing, so you can make your own mind up about that one. In the next few months, we will be adding to our Biltong recipes with Salads, Soups, and so much more. Please keep checking back for more delicious and healthy Biltong recipes, and don’t forget to bookmark the website too! Choosing Biltong as a regular part of your healthy diet for you and your family makes sense. It’s the perfect snack no matter if you need gluten free, high protein, low carbs or low sugar
With a variety of styles and flavours on offer, which one will your choose?
- Original Biltong
- Garlic Biltong
- Piri Piri Biltong
- Original Droewors
- Garlic Droewors